CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 9, 2008

Birthmother's Day (*Updated*)

All of you know that Sunday is Mother's Day, but do any of you know what tomorrow is? The Saturday before Mother's Day is Birthmother's Day. Most of you have probably never even heard of it. But, it is the day that birthmothers (mothers that have decided to place their children for adoption) are recognized and celebrated.
I have read many blogs about adoption, but they are all written from the perspective of adoptive parents. I have read parents explain their love for their children even though they are not biologically linked. I have read mother's defend their role, even though they did not give birth. I have read of many beautiful families that have been formed through adoptions.
But, there is another side to the story and as a birthmom, I feel led to represent and explain that side. Behind every family that is completed by adoption, there is a woman that has been left broken. She is grieving the life of a child that she has lost. Yes, she has the benefit of knowing that the child lives on, but she grieves just as a mother that has lost her child to death. The void in her life is just as great. She will never kiss his skinned knee, see his first day of school, comfort his first heart ache, beam with pride as he graduates high school and college.
Placing a child for adoption is not "something that happened in her past." It is a decision that she carries every single day of her life. She wakes up in the morning, sees her stretch marks and thinks of her child. She sees a child his age playing and wonders, "Does he like that toy? Does he have one?" People ask her every day, "Do you have children?" She always tells them that she does. She has one son. She carries pictures of him in her wallet. She cries when she hears certain songs on the radio, songs that remind her of him or that declare the dreams that she carries for him. She has his picture in her Bible marking the story in 1 Kings of two women fighting over a baby where the true mother is willing to lose her baby to spare his life. She prays for him constantly, for his safety, his future spouse, and that He will be a man of God.
Mother's Day is a very hard day for a birthmom. All around her, moms are being recognized and celebrated. Even though she does not get to be "mommy," she feels just as much of a mother as those around her. Yet, no one recognizes her. They tell her, "someday you will be a mom, too." In church, the pastor asks the mothers to stand while everyone claps for them. She doesn't know if she is supposed to stand or not, so she just sits and cries.
A mother has a love for her child that is unexplainable. It is a love that is willing to do anything necessary to ensure the safety and happiness of that child. There is no sacrifice too great. A love so great that it allows her to place him in the arms of another woman and walk away, knowing that he will be blessed, but that she will never share a moment of that blessing.
Whether they be an adoptive mother, birthmother, stepmother or biological mother, moms should be recognized every day for their love, selflessness, and wisdom...not just one day of the year.

*Update* As I have read comments this morning, I notice that the first four comments that I have received are from beautiful women, all of whom have arms that ache for children. And as I re-read my post, I feel selfish. Please do not think that I am forgetting you in this category. Each of us carries the same burden this Mother's Day and I am praying for each of you. That God will give you a peace on that day. Ever woman that longs to be a mother, has the same pain as society recognizes mothers on Mother's Day. I don't mean to say that my pain is any greater! I was trying to tell a birthmother's side of the story, but there is also another story that I do want people to hear. I want people to know what a painful day this is for those of us that long to be a mother. I do know that side of the story, too!
Remember to pray for the women in your life that are future moms, moms that are still waiting on God to bless them with their children! Sunday is a day that magnifies that void in their life.!

13 comments:

Ronda said...

Jennifer, I pray that you have a special Birthmother's Day...the kind only the Lord can give. I also pray that the Lord guards your heart this Mother's Day for the several reasons it might be hard for you.

Erica said...

Wow, Jennifer. That was beautifully said. Guess who's crying?! Not because I'm just being mushy, but because what you said was so heart-felt and as such you have exposed my heart (opened it, softened it in a way) to a new perspective. Thank you.

It is my prayer that you have a wonderful Birthmom's Day - that the Lord blesses you and loves on you for the treasure you are. I also hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Day too. What a picture it is to think of you in Heaven some day surrounded by all your kiddos!

Unknown said...

Jenny-
I admire your openness, and I admire your willingness to give your child a chance at life. One of my mom's patients is considering abortion, and this is hard for my mom because she knows what kind of life Anthony and I could give that baby if only she would consider the child instead of her self. We are praying for her to change her heart, but it probably won't happen. I hope you enjoy your birthmothers day. I wish there was a stepmothers day, and a day to honor women who can't conceive. But-we are the road less travelled, are we not?

Court said...

Jenni ~ I hope that you have a special day tomorrow, as we celebrate the incredible, selfless gift of your son to his adoptive parents. I know it hasn't been easy (I remember you WAY back then!) but God has remained faithful and has done incredible things in your life. It's been neat to see it! I will be praying for you on Sunday ~ Mother's Day is always a difficult one for me too....but we can rest in knowing that the Lord knows exactly how we feel. Love ya!

Unknown said...

Thank you Jenni-
Anthony is a great father, and he makes a darn good husband, baby or not. Anytime you are up here in the Plano area, please give us a call. He was highly interested in your blog, and what a joy it would be to have a new friendship with you! You should not regret stepping away from him...sometimes we have to protect our hearts from things that hurt it. True friends understand.

Elaine said...

Just got my makeup on to walk out the door and decided to check on a few blogs and uh oh, the tears are rolling. In case you don't know it, you have a talent for writing. This was the most deeply moving writing that I have read from a birth mother's perspective. It needs to be printed "somewhere" for more people to read and understand the emotions a birth mom feels every day of her life. With much love and admiration, Elaine W.

Court said...

Jenni....as one of the 4 that you mentioned in your update, please don't feel the need to apologize for anything. I, for one, don't need an apology. You are absolutely entitled to your feelings (this is your blog afterall). You didn't come off as being selfish at all. Never feel the need to second-guess your feelings or apologize for how you express them. Your words were heart-felt and a blessing.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow :)

Cindy Seay said...

I'm thinking of you and praying for you this weekend.
i love you,
cindy

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to branch out and read blogs by birth mothers. The good ones and the not so good ones. They offer a great insight and perspective.

That said, as a birth mother, I don't celebrate "Birthmother's Day." I'm a mother. I don't want a separate and decidedly unequal day.

THAT said, for my sisters who DO celebrate today, it means something to them and that's the point. Everyone needs their own "thing." I hope that all mothers, whether their children are in their arms, in heaven or not found yet, are able to enjoy this weekend in some form or fashion.

THE WHITE HOUSE said...

As I looked at your blog today, I couldn't believe what I read. My best "Chicago" friend is in San Antonio this very day to meet the birthmom of her soon-to-be baby boy. We have been praying for both our friend and the birthmom before they were even matched. Thank you so much for sharing the perspective of the birthmom. I can't even begin to imagine the way she feels and all of the things she must be going through right now at the young age of 15.

You continue to be in our prayers!

In His Love,
Lindsay

P.S. I see that you added us to your blog list. Now I can add you without you thinking I'm crazy!! Haha! I think I could be considered a blog stalker too! It keeps me from doing what I'm supposed to do like dishes, laundry, and cleaning! :)

Kyle and Melanie White said...

Another beautifully written post, Jenni. I didn't know about Birthmother's Day, but now I'll always think of you.

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing this. As an adoptive mom, I've been thinking a lot about both my kids' first moms and other birth moms this week. I wish the joy of this holiday didn't have to mean heartache for others.

Happy Mother's Day to you.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY JENNIFER!!!
WE ARE THINKING OF YOU AND HOLLAND TODAY. WE HOPE YOU AND RUSTY ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL WEEKEND~~~
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU TODAY AND EVERYDAY!!!
WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH,
KATHY, DAD, KIRSTEN & KATELYN