CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Way out of my element

So, I started on the unit today. I wish that I could tell you that I got right in there and kicked some tail.

That's not how it happened.

I walked in at 7am with a nervous smile and donuts in my hand. (Hey, I will be the first to admit. I am NOT above bribery. Nurses love food. And if some sugar will make my new coworkers like me, it was worth the $7!)  I was greeted with a shocking experience... literally. A 74 year old man having a cardioversion. They put the patient to sleep, shocked his heart into a normal rhythm and his body lept off the bed. Sure, I've seen it on ER all the time, but never in a laboring patient! Welcome to cardiac nursing!!

After that, I saw another cardioversion, some hip repairs, an elbow wound drainage, a knee repair, a femur repair, and some shoulder repairs.

None of them needed their cervix checked.

I felt so out of my element all day. It felt just like when I was in nursing school and had no clue about all that was going on around me. I just stood there watching the other nurses and looking for ways to help and feel useful. But, I didn't even know how to use the fancy thermometers that they have, so I couldn't even take a temperature! Over the course of the day, I found out that I did know how to clean equipment, get ice and fax orders. So, I did those three things to the best of my ability! :) I also tried to spend time with the patients, reassuring them as they woke from their anesthesia. 

Once or twice today, I may have stood against the wall with my eyes as big as saucers. I may have said  multiple times that "I want to go back to the pregnant women". I may have almost passed out mid-morning from the stress of it all and have to sit down and eat juice and crackers. But if I did that, I would certainly never tell you. That would be really embarrassing.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

I laughed out loud. Tomorrow will be a better day because you are an amazing nurse. Love you.

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer--its Ashley Lee..Eric and Kim's friend that was in nursing school. I've been "blogstalking" you and decided that now would be a good time to finally comment. :)
First, I just have to say thank you so much for your transparency and honesty about all that you and your husband are facing. Its humbling just to READ about your strength! Secondly, you are SO SUPER brave to switch to caring for someone that isn't just about to give birth/just gave birth. I have only been in L&D for ~a year and I don't know that I could leave it. Examining men would be a whole new world. But don't worry, I know you'll get use to it and be awesome at this new job just like you were with L&D. Just remember that you wern't super delivery nurse on day 2 and you won't be with this unit either. Just give it some time and it'll be alright. :)

Anyway, I've been enjoying reading and look forward to see what God has in store for you!
Ashley

Anonymous said...

yea! welcome to the world of the surgical nurse! you will love it Jennifer---hang in there girl!
Becky A. (Steph's mom)Wichita Falls

Erica said...

You make me laugh! I know I'm probably biased - I do believe you are THE ABSOLUTE VERY BEST nurse out there, you know - but I think you rocked it on your first day! In the end, it really is all about the people, right? And you blessed your fellow nurses with donuts and you spent time encouraging the patients when you didn't know what else to do! You are amazing! This is only going to get better...

Hang in there! XOXOXO

Never Enough Food said...

I was sure you were going to say you accidentally checked someone's cervix :)

Jenny said...

I am SO PROUD of YOU!!! I know that this is all so foreign but I know that in time you will be running circles around all those other nurses!

Kyle and Melanie White said...

Wow - they really threw you in there, didn't they? You'll get the hang of it in no time and be the best one there!

Kim and Eric said...

I bet you were incredible in all that you did on that first day. Been thinking a lot about you lately. Love that you brought donuts, love that you can fax like a champ, and love that you reassured those patients and helped them feel safe and secure. What a heart you have! Love you friend!

Mindy said...

Jenny - Sounds like you had an overwhelming first day, but I am SO proud of you. I know what a big step this was for you, and how you considered it so prayerfully. I know God is going to bless it. How awesome that you are learning new things! Good for you. Hang in there, friend.

Love,
Mindy

Kristel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristel said...

Ok...so this is NOT the best blog to read when you're still getting over a cold...cause I laughed so hard I was wheezing and coughing and had tears rolling down my face at the part about "no one needing their cervix checked"...You are a MESS!!!! And I'm sure you FEEL like a mess these days being the "new girl" again...but you're a sharp girl- and got a 'go get'em' mentality...you'll be up to speed in no time! It's not easy when you've been a ROCK STAR for so long, I'm sure ;) but you will show them all up soon just give it a little time...if nothing else, you can be reassured that you brought smiles to the faces of those around you thru this new experience in your life- some by bribery, some by comfort, and other by comedy...but you always do know how to light up a room! LOVE YOU!! MUAH!

Stacey said...

Jennifer! You are so funny. You seriously should be a writer! Hang in there, pretty lady. I know the patients love you, I know you are a great nurse, and I know it will get easier! Praying for you...

Unknown said...

Too funny! Love the good laugh. My friend is an ER nurse and she tells me all the time its a crazy but wonderful world when she is there. Have a happy Easter!

Erin said...

jenn - i think we may have met long long ago in the newlywed class. i've shamelessly stalked your blog for a while now...felt it was time to introduce myself. i'm excited for you you and this new venture. i'm pretty sure you'll be great at it - just give it some time and grace for yourself. keep writing, i love reading your heart!