CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sanctity of Life Day

January 17th.

I walked into the service this morning I couldn't help but think about how appropriate it was today that it is Sanctity of Life Sunday.

On this day, 11 years ago, I walked into New Life and met the parents that I had chosen for my child.

Months before, I had chosen to given my son physical life. Though I was scared out of my mind and had no idea what I was going to do, I knew that God did. I knew that no matter what the circumstances were that led to my pregnancy- God was bigger.  There was a reason God allowed this pregnancy and God had a plan. He had created life and I was in no position to take it. I have my journal from the night I discovered that I was pregnant. I clearly remember being on my knees at my grandparents' house and writing these words, "Lord, I do not understand and I am so scared. But, I pray that no matter what happens, you will use this for your glory." And my mind was made up- this child would have a life.

But on January 17th, as I walked into New Life to meet his parents, I was choosing life again for Holland. A life that I was not prepared to give him. A life full of opportunity and security. A life that would never have him torn between homes. A mommy, daddy and big sister that all lived under one roof. A family.

Let me be honest... this was not my first choice for my child. It is not the first choice of any mother. Did I want to raise my son? Absolutely. Did I have the support of my family and the resources to do so? Sure. And I had more love to give than I could ever imagine my heart was capable of. But, that wasn't enough for my child. He deserved more. Even if it meant that my heart would break when I had to admit that I was not the one who could give that to him.

The day I met his mom was her 30th birthday. When you are 18, 30 seems so old. They already had a five year old at home, but I remember thinking "this poor woman- she is already 30 and still trying to have a baby. She has had to wait so long!"

Obviously, I realize now that 30 is not as old as it seemed to me then. Physically, I still have many years ahead of me. I get that. Trust me. I do not need anyone else to tell me. But from an emotional point, there is just something about turning 30, without a baby, that breaks my heart.  And I will be 30 in just a few months.

11 years later, I do not regret my decision to give Holland life.  I grieve every single day that I do not get to be a part of that life. But, I continue to trust that God has a plan for both Holland's life and for my own. I continue to pray the same prayer that I cried out to him that night on my knees. "Please Lord, use this for your glory."

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I love you Jennifer Woolley. With all of my heart.

Unknown said...

May God continue to bless you and to mature you into the Christian woman He desires for you to be.

Angela Hinton said...

Jennifer, you are amazing and so strong. You are my hero. God will honor you. Keep believing. We continue to pray for you. Love you!!

Erica said...

Holland is unbelievably blessed to have such a brave, courageous and LOVING birthmom. You have given him the greatest gift - life!

You never cease to amaze me, inspire me, challenge me. I know that is no consolation prize for all you have been through, but I hope you realize how God has and continues to use this for His glory. Not just in Holland's life but in ours too.

I love you, friend, and will never cease believing and praying!

Kiki said...

I thought of you a lot Sunday morning. And one word kept coming to mind, BRAVE. You are the bravest woman I know. I'll add unselfish to that too. And wise. How at 18, were you able to decide that? Amazing. You are an amazing mom.

Unknown said...

We have spoken about Holland before Jennifer, but these tears that I am crying for you are so fresh! It's like I never heard it before. I remember thinking the same thing when I was going to be 30 because I wasn't a mother yet. I am praying for you and Rusty!! I love you, friend!

Lacey said...

Hi Jenny. I read your blog. :) I was in the room for one of my good friend, Sharla's birth and you were the nurse. Anyway, I've been reading your journey. I am involved with something called 40 Days for Life. I have a link on my blog about it (you may already know about it). Anyway, I thought maybe you'd like to be apart of it. I know at 18 it was a brave thing to do for you to choose life. My heart breaks for the girls who don't choose the same thing.

Hope you are having a great week with your kindle and bon-bons. :)