CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

So, I am not alone after all!

I have often said that one of the greatest things that has come from this journey of infertility is the relationships that have been both formed or nurtured along the way. It has brought me closer to the Lord, to my husband and to many friends that share the burden of infertility. And I have made many new friendships that have blossomed from a common bond that we share- a desire to have a baby. I have been loved, supported, prayed for, encouraged and embraced by an amazing group of friends.

But, in the midst of a crowd of women that share that desire with me, I have often felt very alone and isolated.

Though our hurts, our disappointments, our pains and our pleas to Lord may sound the same, they are very different. We all have a different story, a different path that led us to where we are today.

And as a birthmom, my story is very different than any of the women around me. My pain is no greater, but it is different. I have never felt like there is anyone that could truly understand me or to support me in the grief and fear that I walk through.

 Several weeks ago, Rusty and I had a conversation about being a birthmom that is now facing infertility. We pondered how rare that must be and wondered how many other birthmoms there are out there that are walking this same path. Rusty's guess was one in ten million. I laughed and told him that it wasn't that rare and that there had to be other birthmoms that have faced this. But, in my heart, I felt the burden of being very alone.  If there is someone else out there, I certainly have never met her.

The very next morning, we were sitting in church and Rusty was reading the bulletin. He began to laugh and pointed out a section for me to read. It was a blurb about the adoption care ministry at our church. It described a class that would be held on May 2nd, called "A bithmother's perspective." The description said something to the effect of "come hear  Jeannine Floores from Breath of Life Ministries, share her story of being both an birthmother and an adoptive mother. A special invitation is extended to all birthmothers." I couldn't believe it! God's sense of humor and timing never cease to amaze me.

On Sunday night, we attended that class. I was so blessed to meet Jeannine and hear her story of placing a baby for adoption, then facing infertility and adopting a beautiful son. Several years later, she and her husband "spontaneously conceived" (as we in the infertility world refer to it) another son. She now runs a beautiful ministry in Austin called Breath of Life, which is a ministry to women in unplanned pregnancies.

Hearing her story was so powerful for both Rusty and I. I sat in the back of the room and for the first time ever, heard someone share the same painful memories that I have. The same gut wrenching decisions. The same shame, same guilt, same fears, same pain. And the same hope. Hope for a better future for a child than what we could give. Hope of a relationship with that child after many years of being strangers.

When I got the chance to talk with Jeannine, I felt something that I have not felt from the day that we got our diagnosis of infertility.... I felt understood. She got it. She understood what I was saying without me having to explain my rationale. She finished my sentences. She really understood. I wish I could put into words how much comfort that brought me.

Her son also got up and spoke and I was so moved by the testimony of an adopted child. It was so emotional to hear him speak about his birthmother- the questions that he has about her and the hope that he has of someday having a relationship with her. As he spoke, all I could think of was my son. Will he have those same questions? Will he have that same desire to know me? Will I ever have the chance to tell him how much I love him?

Meeting Jeannine could not have come at a better time in my life. The last few months have been a trying time for Rusty and I, but a time of real growth and maturation. Our hearts have been opened to opportunities that we could have never imagined. We have been on a roller coaster of emotions as the Lord has begun to reveal parts of His plan and perfect timing to us. Yet, I am often impatient and get frustrated that I can still only see just glimpses of what He is doing. But, as He reminded me this week, through Jeannine:

His timing is always perfect. Always.
And I am never alone.

12 comments:

John and Joanna said...

Jennifer,
WOW! I literally have goose bumps!! How amazing is our God!! I love the times He shows us how REAL He is...clearly we know He is real, but in those moments we can literally just feel Him.
I am encouraged for you!!!

John and Joanna said...

Jennifer,
WOW! I literally have goose bumps!! How amazing is our God!! I love the times He shows us how REAL He is...clearly we know He is real, but in those moments we can literally just feel Him.
I am encouraged for you!!!

Sharon said...

I love you. Beautifully written. I hope you have the most wonderful weekend ever!

Unknown said...

He is awesome!! This is a sign from Him that he is going to take care of you!!
xoxo

Kyle and Melanie White said...

What a neat story! How wonderful that God placed her in your church at that time for you to meet her and hear how He worked through her situation.

The Riley Family said...

Just when you need it the most, He makes his powerful presence known through bringing her into your life. What a blessing! Praying for your perfect timing my friend. I love you!

Sally said...

What an awesome blessing to have her in your life. What a testimony..

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful and thank you for sharing. I have no idea what you must be going through and I feel ashamed to say- that I got pregnant by "surprise" w/ my boyfriend whom I love dearly and was upset and scared and not sure what to do and I'm a 33 y/o woman. You don't know how much your story has touched me and reminded me that God has a plan for our lives and only he knows what we need and what is best and his timing is perfect.
thank you for sharing, God Bless you and your family!

Kiki said...

That is so cool! I have tears of underestanding and happiness!

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for being so open and honest with your story. We are currently undergoing fertility treatments and so much of the emotions you describe are my own. I check your blog often and look forward to what God has revealed to you knowing that it will touch others, including myself.
I will be praying for God's continued guidance, for your and your husbands hearts to be open to his plan for for the children God has set apart for you and only you.

Lacey said...

I have goosebumps too. I love how open and honest you are. I have met you a couple of times through friends at the hospital, but I am sure you don't remember me. But even then, when you told me your story you were someone that I knew was an amazing person. A great woman of strength and courage. I admire the choices you have made, and all you have done and gone through since giving up your baby boy. I think it is great you met someone who has been through what you have, and you can see how great it all turned out. You will get your happy ending also. I just know it. God has a GREAT plan for you. I love following your blog, and journey. Thanks for sharing it with us. :) Although we may not know what you are going through, I am pretty sure I can speak for everyone who reads this that we are all rooting for you!!

Ronda said...

Jennifer,
I talked with Erica today and she told me it was your birthday!!! Happy Birthday! I hope it has been a blessed day!