CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 17, 2010

SURPRISE!!!

I have to begin this post by telling you how much I LOVE surprises. I think that it is so much fun to plan a surprise for someone- no matter how large the gesture- to make them feel loved.

Knowing this, Rusty has always been so good about trying to surprise me in our marriage. But for some reason, most of the time I find out about things before they happen. I don't mean to, but I do and then we are both disappointed that the surprise is ruined!

Well, this week- he finally got me. And he got me good.

On Thursday, I turned 30.

I have written about it before, but I have been stressing about that day for a long time. Something about being 30 with no baby just seemed like the end of the world to me.  It was not a day that I was looking forward to.

But, I have the most amazing husband in the whole, wide world. He made my 30th birthday into an amazing week of memories that I will always treasure!

Starting last Saturday with Birthmothers Day, Rusty has made every single day special with a card and a gift. As he does every year, he took me on a trip to get away on Mother's Day weekend and we spent a few nights in New York City. He spoiled me with an ipad and some goodies from Williams Sonoma that I have been wanting. But that was just the beginning!

On Thursday night, he told me to be ready for dinner at 6:30. Wear something casual, he said. So, if we aren't going anywhere fancy, I assume that means that there are at least a group of people that are going to meet us and surprise me at dinner as that has kind of been Rusty's MO for the last few birthdays.

I walk into Chuys excited to see what 2 or 3 couples he has been able to get out to celebrate with us. But, as I turn the corner, I stop dead in my tracks. There aren't any friends there. But sitting at the bar was my cousin, Marlee that Rusty had flown in from Atlanta!! I was in shock and so excited! What a great surprise!


On Friday, Rusty had arranged for me to be off work. He made appointments for Marlee and I to get pedicures and then took us to Max's Wine Dive for dinner!


He told me that we had dinner plans on Saturday and that I could wear something a little dressier this time. Ok, this would be the night that he has the other couples meet and surprise us. I couldn't wait to find out where we were going and see who would show up to celebrate with me. I was guessing Melting Pot and 3 other couples.

Um, I could not have been more wrong.

We pulled up to Hotel Icon. A hotel? Ok. We checked in with the maitre d' at the restaurant in the lobby. Reservations for Woolley. "Well good evening, Mr. Woolley. We will seat you right away. Would you like to sit in the main dining room? We now have additional seating in the loft upstairs as well. It used to be our whiskey bar, but we have opened it up on the weekends for our dinner guests because of the beautiful views." Sure. Views sound good. Well, we must be the first ones here if someone is going to be meeting us. Oh, I hope this isn't another bust for Rusty. I know that he has tried so hard to surprise me.

We walked up stairs, past a beautiful candle lit room with flowers and cozy couches- a lounge to relax in after dinner, the maitre d' told us. Nice. We turned the corner into a softly lit room.

SURPRISE!



The room was FULL of friends and family. So many people that I love all in one room. And they were all there for me.

Every where I turned, there was someone else there that I loved. Friends from church. My former coworkers from L&D. Family who traveled to be there. Friends that I have had since Junior High. Friends that I inherited in the marriage. I just kept saying, "Really? YOU are here? Wow."





Honestly, I have never felt so loved. There are no words to express how overwhelmed I still feel. When we got ready to cut the cake, Rusty thanked everyone for being there. I wish I could have gathered my thoughts well enough to express what I was feeling at that moment. Instead of blubbering some incoherent thoughts I would have said more.

I would have let everyone know what an amazing husband I have and thanked him publicly for all that he has done for me, not just on birthday week, but every single day. He is my rock and my very best friend. He loves me in a way that I never thought I deserved to be loved.  I am so blessed to be his wife.

I would have also thanked Erica. Oh my word, this girl is amazing. I did not know it at the time, but I am not surprised to hear about all of the time and work that she put into the night. There was not one detail that was neglected from the invitations to the planning and picking the venue, the amazing food and drinks to the white rose (my favorite!!) centerpieces that she handmade and the beautiful cake.She was the ultimate party planner- taking care of every detail and of me all night. I am so incredibly blessed to have this amazing woman in my life.

But mostly, I would have talked about how incredibly blessed I am. About how as I stood there, surrounded by so many loved ones, I was in awe of all that God has given me. Instead of feeling empty arms on my birthday, I felt a heart that was so full that it was overflowing.


Thank you to everyone that was there and that helped Rusty and Erica pull off this surprise. (And a special thanks to Brett for taking all of these photos, since I got NONE!) If anyone else has any photos, I would love to have them too!

It was an amazing night that I will never forget!!

9 comments:

Erica and Jamie McMillan said...

Sounds like a great week! You deserve it! So glad you had a wonderful 30th and spent it with lots of friends and family. Looks like Rusty did an amazing job!

Never Enough Food said...

Major props to Rusty!

Stacey said...

What a special night!! And what a fabulous week! You are blessed beyond measure in so many ways! Anyway, Happy Bday! We so wanted to be there, but had long standing travel plans to see my sister. So glad you felt so loved, because you are!

The Riley Family said...

After all the selfless love that you show others, I am glad that we finally got to show you in return. We would not have missed it. You deserved every happy memory of the week and so many more in return. I am thinking that I want to continue the tradition of being part of the surprise. We could not be more blessed than to know you and Rusty and be part of your big day. Love you!!!

Sharon said...

Dad says "his boy" is just a chip of the ole block. Love you.

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Jenni! We were so sad that we couldn't be there, but happy that you had such a wonderful time. It looked awesome in the pics!

Lisa said...

We had so much fun and feel so honored to be included in your surprise! Rusty and Erica did a great job!! You looked gorgeous by the way.

Olivia said...

How awesome! Good job to Rusty! You are one beautiful lady! Keep giving your desires over to God! I am excited to see what God has in store in the years to come!

Robert and Kim Holz said...

Love you and so glad you had so much fun. I am so happy that your week was wonderful. I need to send you the pics that I have.